Back in the period during 2000 – 2002, I experimented with few simple HF oscillators/plasma antenna exciters for Rife type of devices. It was a period that Dr James Bare started to do more severe modifications on his CB based systems. During that period new historical documents surfaced, and during our conversations, Aubrey shared enough information to pique my curiosity regarding Beam Ray type of device.
It was at that point that I realised a more versatile experimental type of device was needed to accommodate experimental needs. Back then I was much less experienced in electronic design, and such a task seemed a bit daunting. Aubrey encouraged me to proceed, and James said a few encouraging words as well, and it was enough to get me started.
I decided to design a device which would be capable of producing two entirely independent signals with different waveforms, which could then be mixed, amplitude and frequency modulated, gated with additional provision for auxiliary modulator, modulating and gating signal.
Back then, DSP ICs were still a bit exotic and expensive pieces of hardware. Especially in the light of the fact that ordering electronic parts from abroad in the late 1990s and early 2000s almost regularly included lengthy discussions with customs officers. Finally, I decided to design everything in discrete technology. Some of the electronic components were bought in the local stores which at that point imported mostly counterfeits made in China. Aubrey graciously sent me a few of things that I could not get anywhere and the project was a go.
The schematic design was pretty straightforward, and virtually nothing was changed during the testing phase. All of the functions were to be controlled by using numerous DIP switches according to the numerical table I had to devise.
However, producing and testing physical prototype was fraught with numerous problems mostly not related to design itself. When testing an entirely new design, one has to use as reliable electronic components as possible to avoid possible problems introduced by the components, themselves. Although SPICE simulators were already mature during that period, I was still coping with their intricacies, and it was just faster to produce the physical prototype.
Well, in this case, only after I made PCB and soldered all of the components, the low-quality composite started to deform and buckle, and some of the tracks had to be bridged with strips of wire. To make things more “sparkly”, a batch of counterfeited 7805 regulators had their fixed outputs varying from 7 to 10 V. I was somewhat naive back then, and so I was relying on the assumption that all of the components were up to the official specifications. Lulled by such assumption, I did not check voltages before powering the entire device. Not all digital ICs were happy with overvoltage, and momentarily a small cloud of magic smoke could be seen wafting over the PCB. One always has to use reliable suppliers exclusively and test every single component before soldering and assembly. It was a valuable but hard learned lesson learned.
After I addressed initial problems, I was eager to test the device and see what kind of signal is produced. Initial measurements I performed showed that the output of the device behaved precisely how it supposed to. At least that was the case when the device was not doing weird things all over the frequency spectrum. It soon became clear that the prototype was manifesting the problem only intermittently and seemingly randomly. It took several days to locate the problem to corroded internal contacts of some of the DIP switches. Once again I was reminded not to use unreliable suppliers for any project, let alone the prototype of the untested schematic.
In the end, the device turned out quite versatile and reliable. I connected it to HF amplifier and plasma antenna, and I was somewhat satisfied with its functionality I was working on a meagre budget, and with different designs being frequently tested I did not bother then to mount it into an enclosure.
It was also during this period that I worked with a retired technical glass blower to produce plasma antenna according to specifications I discussed with Aubrey. Our attempts were far, and few and numerous mistakes were made. It proved to be rather tricky experimenting with different types of glass to metal seals. Some of the first attempts were so misguided that I was merely at a loss what to try next. I managed to acquire some of the historical books on the topic and finally managed to produce reliable glass to metal seal.
I learned to respect the value of specialised and historical literature, and I continued collecting it as requirements of particular projects dictated and opportunities presented themselves. Over the years it grew into present extensive physical and a digital archive of sometimes rather rare scientific, engineering and general technical publications and books.
One of the goals of that attempt was to try to determine the bioactive effects of different gasses under different pressures. It was arranged for those borosilicate glass tubes to be evacuated to extremely high vacuum by the employment of turbo-molecular pump at the Institute of Physics in Zagreb. What we did not take into account was a relatively large volume of the glass tube that we produced, and it took almost 72 hours to achieve vacuum high enough. The tube was later filled with purified noble gasses and glass to metal seal proved to be entirely reliable.
During late 2003 and early 2004, several experiments were performed with Rife-derivative experimental device and plasma antenna. The results, although not yet statistically significant, exhibited good potential for further line of research and development.